Getting Started
So today is day one of my journey! In my preparations to head to Ethiopia I have experienced a plethora of emotions ranging from joy to panic. Mostly, though I have learned that I need to embrace this moment and let my light and kindness overflow. I have started referring to this trip as my 40 day sacrifice. Although it is a few days short of 40 days, it seems a little symbolic to me. As Jesus spent 40 days in the desert it is my turn to sacrifice. This is the the first major service project I have ever done, and I am looking forward to using this blog to communicate my experiences and struggles, and sharing with the my friends and family so that together we can make an influence on the world in which we live.
Tomorrow I will be at an orientation in Chicago, there we will spend time reflecting as a group and praying for guidance throughout our adventure. Together there are four of us, and I am very much looking forward to getting to know these girls and sharing this mission with them. After orientation ends on Saturday we board our plane and head to our destination, Jimma, Ethiopia. Jimma is a more rural town in west Ethiopia. Before reaching our destination we will lay over in Frankfurt, Germany, and then head to Addis Ababa- the capital of Ethiopia. Here we will stay with the Daughters of Charity for approximately 2 days and prepare for our 8 hour bus trip to Jimma. Although that 8 hour bus trip might sound miserable to you, I am so excited for this part of the trip. We will be essentially crossing almost the width of the country by bus, and my eyes are never going to leave the window. From here we will arrive promptly at our "home" for the following four weeks. The four of us are staying in the Daughters of Charity convent. This was a reassuring part of the trip for me as I realized that God had placed us in a safe place during our stay. Together the four of us have a total of approximately 400 pounds of supplies for the children at the school where we will be teaching!! We each received so much love and support from friends, family, coworkers and students and I personally feel so blessed to have such AMAZING people in my life that made this all happen. Our school is a bit of a hike from the convent, however, we will make the trip together each morning to our classes. I have been prepared for a class of 50 little 6 and 7 year old munchkins and I intend to teach them as much as possible throughout the duration of my stay. Though many have skeptically asked, "What can really be taught in four weeks?", I am assuring you that, actually, a lot can be taught in four weeks. Maybe the children won't meet the United State standards of placement at age six, but what the children will learn will be much more valuable. The goal is to open these children's eyes to what an education can provide, and what you can achieve by continuing an education - especially in a developing country such as Ethiopia. These children are going to be given an opportunity to be exposed to learning - and knowledge is one thing that can never be taken away from an individual. We will also be teaching the sisters at the convent. This will be equally beneficial as they will be able to then teach others from what they learn.
So please pray for me as I embark on this trip and until next time, know that I too am praying for each of you!
xoxoxo
Tomorrow I will be at an orientation in Chicago, there we will spend time reflecting as a group and praying for guidance throughout our adventure. Together there are four of us, and I am very much looking forward to getting to know these girls and sharing this mission with them. After orientation ends on Saturday we board our plane and head to our destination, Jimma, Ethiopia. Jimma is a more rural town in west Ethiopia. Before reaching our destination we will lay over in Frankfurt, Germany, and then head to Addis Ababa- the capital of Ethiopia. Here we will stay with the Daughters of Charity for approximately 2 days and prepare for our 8 hour bus trip to Jimma. Although that 8 hour bus trip might sound miserable to you, I am so excited for this part of the trip. We will be essentially crossing almost the width of the country by bus, and my eyes are never going to leave the window. From here we will arrive promptly at our "home" for the following four weeks. The four of us are staying in the Daughters of Charity convent. This was a reassuring part of the trip for me as I realized that God had placed us in a safe place during our stay. Together the four of us have a total of approximately 400 pounds of supplies for the children at the school where we will be teaching!! We each received so much love and support from friends, family, coworkers and students and I personally feel so blessed to have such AMAZING people in my life that made this all happen. Our school is a bit of a hike from the convent, however, we will make the trip together each morning to our classes. I have been prepared for a class of 50 little 6 and 7 year old munchkins and I intend to teach them as much as possible throughout the duration of my stay. Though many have skeptically asked, "What can really be taught in four weeks?", I am assuring you that, actually, a lot can be taught in four weeks. Maybe the children won't meet the United State standards of placement at age six, but what the children will learn will be much more valuable. The goal is to open these children's eyes to what an education can provide, and what you can achieve by continuing an education - especially in a developing country such as Ethiopia. These children are going to be given an opportunity to be exposed to learning - and knowledge is one thing that can never be taken away from an individual. We will also be teaching the sisters at the convent. This will be equally beneficial as they will be able to then teach others from what they learn.
So please pray for me as I embark on this trip and until next time, know that I too am praying for each of you!
xoxoxo
No comments:
Post a Comment